Tuesday, September 15, 2009

A composer successfully remembered

This excerpt from C.M. v Weber's Op. 28 is drawn in pencil on one of the practice room walls at the Grieg Academy. I sat there staring at it for probably about 10 minutes. I tried to imagine the whole story behind the person who drew it. I bet it was a cellist. Cellists are often the most passionate musicians in an orchestra, and therefore the most likely to get so obsessed with a single line of music to spend hours meticulously drawing it on the wall. And I bet this cellist had stayed in this room until 2 am, studying op. 28, and finally with a sudden outburst cried, "I must write out this beautiful line on the wall so everyone who comes in here can be reminded of von Weber's brilliance!" Well I suppose he succeeded...with me at least.

No comments:

Post a Comment