Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Good with a capital "G"

If ever anything is more than "good"--when it taps into the goodness that can only be found in the eternity of heaven--my dear friend, Rose, describes it as "Good with a capital G." That was today...Good. I woke up with the sun and pulled open my curtains only to be greeted by the glowing moon. As I made my breakfast, I continually checked on him to make sure he was still there. He stayed with me for a whole hour! Next came a delightful walk in the nearby woods. The orange carpet of leaves kept my feet from ever touching the soil. What better way to spend a November morning than amongst the naked trees and the rising sun.

Next came a piece of apple cake that my friend graciously bought for us to share at a coffee house near the Grieg Academy. It was a perfect snack to tide me over as I plunged into the history of the flute school at the Paris Conservatoire. All it takes is a little coffee, a little cake, and a little company to make studying a simply delightful experience.

And how should a Good day come to an end? Well, with some bluegrass of course. A girl I met a few days ago, who will be one of my housemates starting in January, came into my practice room and played "Amazing Grace" for me on her fiddle...in "bluegrass" style. I cried and asked her to play it again. Joy. Simple joy radiated from every note she played.

Amazing grace is...finding home in a little, run-down practice room, on the top floor of an old, vine-covered music school, all the way in Bergen, Norway. God is Good.

1 comment: