Sunday, June 7, 2009

"I have an affection for a great city. I feel safe in the security of man, and enjoy the sweet security of the streets." -Longfellow

I spent this weekend in Chicago with my "sisters" from college. Being there reminded me of my love for the city. It has a different beauty than the country...but it's still beauty. The first night was spent chatting over expensive desserts and wine. It was lovely to sit outside and let the night slowly fade away, as I savored each bite of my flourless chocolate cake with rasberry sauce and whipped cream.
But we were still up bright and early for the first pickin's at the farmer's market:


There was even a little band playing. They were all playing bluegrass instruments and took turns singing. My favorite was this old man playing the banjo. He sure played the part well...he looked straight out of a storybook.


And as for Michelle...

She was a big hit with the boys.


The afternoon was spent at a quaint tea store. There is a flavor for everyone there. My choice: White Champagne Rasberry. The store is small, but we spent nearly 2 and a half hours smelling every tea and observing the beautiful mugs that reminded Michelle and Kate of India.


What would a Chicago visit be without Chicago deep-dish pizza?


Joe and Mr. Sullivan are not prepared to find out.


That evening was spent doing the tourist thing...a walk down Michigan Ave and exploring Millenium Park. Later that night was a gospel music festival held in the park. There's nothing quite like hearing the gospel proclaimed in the heart of the city.

Until next time, Chicago, Good-bye.

2 comments:

  1. I love your descriptions of what we did! It was such a fun weekend. I'm so glad we could all see each other again!! And I'm glad you made it home safely :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Siigh... I wish I had a banjo...

    ReplyDelete