Friday, August 21, 2009

New Perspectives



A few days ago Sarah and I hiked one of the seven mountains here. Its name is Mt. Fløyen, and the view from on top is absolutely brilliant. Although we took the train, most Norwegians hike up and down, no problem. We even saw five-year-old kids with real backpacking gear on, like what they sell at Scheeles for adults. I just stood there, staring.
I hope to spend a lot of time on these mountains over the next two years. It's good to go often to those places that makes one feel small. Mountains do that more than anything, I think.

And when you get too overwhelmed with the majestic nature of the mountains, just take a walk through them instead, and experience the intimacy of the forest. I very much prefer this. The forest is so full of creativity, I feel like I could stand and look at a single tree for hours upon end. But before I know it, the running stream, or butterfly, or moss, or shade of green, or flicker of sunlight, or...one of those tough Norwegians attempting to run UP the mountain...distracts me and I must continue on my merry way.


I wonder if I could drink out of this stream...maybe one day I'll try. Or maybe I'll just pretend like I can. Yes, that's much better.



5 comments:

  1. Absolutely gorgeous- I especially love that pine forest. Once when I was at Berna's we walked through a dead pine forest and everything- EVERYTHING was gold because of all the dead pine needles lining the ground and the skimpy limbs. Your pine forest has the greenest and most lovely moss I have ever seen.

    Hope everything is going well! Peace of Jesus!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Becca, your photos are beautiful and I love your blog. Christine showed it to me!

    Hannah

    ReplyDelete
  3. It seems the place where you are supposed to be, with the great nature and peaceful elapse. Take care and enjoy them.

    Shinichi

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad God has given you such a wonderful opportunity!! Catching up on this now that I'm all back home has made me so happy. :)

    ~Vanamali

    ReplyDelete
  5. Shnoo, this is unreal! I can't believe that all this is in your back yard. What a wonderful blessing!!!! I miss you tons - you should get a little something in the mail in the next couple days!!!

    ReplyDelete