Saturday, August 15, 2009

"The value of life does not depend upon the place we occupy. It depends upon the way we occupy that place." -Saint Therese of Lisieux

I arrived in Bergen, Norway about one week ago. Although it was quite overwhelming at first (taking the city bus 2-3 times a day is quite the change from rural Minnesota), I am slowly beginning to make a home here. As you can imagine, I am surrounded by glorious nature that is involved in this continual praise fest to God. This lake is about a 30-minute walk from my room. Behind me is the old royal residence of the King and Queen, a ways in front of me is downtown Bergen, and to my right is a small mountain. This little tucked away lake is quite different from the great power of the mountains you find surrouding downtown, but it screams of God's peace in a way the mountains just can't. I wish I could walk here evey day....I would, if it wasn't for the constant rain.



My home: The Grieg Academy
The Grieg Academy is quite small, but so old and European-looking you just fall in love with it instantly. It is in the heart of the city, so I must take a bus to get there. I kind of like the transition time from "home" to "work," though. I never quite experienced that before.





This is the view out of one of the practice room windows. I have to force myself to move my music stand away from the window so I'm not tempted to just stare at the mountains instead of practice. It's quite loud when I open the window....people walking up and down the streets, buses racing around the corner, seagulls crying, and church bells ringing. Such life!



Church. Norway is one of the richest nations in the world and has a Lutheran state church.

8-10% of the population attends church on a regular basis.

This is one of the famous old Lutheran churches in Bergen. I went to a sevice here in Norwegian last Sunday. It was...extemely traditional. No emotion. And the pews were so tall you could only see the tops of people's heads. It was a definite cultural experience that helped me to really understand the reserve of so many Minnesotan, Norwegian Lutherans I have met.


God, save your church.




A few days ago I found this random forest that had all these winding walking trails and huge trees that screamed of stereotypical mystical Norway. I kept seeing all these little rock formations, and was always on the look-out for the trolls that come out of nowhere and ask people for money. In the middle of the forest I happened upon this stave church. These medieval wooden churches are all over Norway, and date back to the 12th century. I don't know much of the history, yet, but will probably go back when it's open to take a tour. It was quite the thing to just "happen upon." I'm sure one day I'll learn exactly why there would be dragon heads on a Christian church...



Rain.

God just can't seem to stop providing Norway with a bounty of many things. Because Bergen is on the coast, it rains here...a lot. About once an hour. Your umbrella just becomes another arm after a while. It is actually quite beautiful here when it rains because the clouds get all misty and you can watch them rise above the moutain tops. The rain is so warm, too, and gentle. So far no thunderstorms or anything, just a light watering of the earth. I don't mind, really. Rain always seemed romantic to me. I guess it's just another way for me to pretend like I'm Lucy from Chronicles of Narnia, hopping between the puddles in England, dreaming of when I can see Aslan again.


But if the rain really gets to you, just walk a block to one of the many coffe houses and order their specialty...black coffee...or the American way....a latte.



The hidden, set aside places of a city is what feeds the soul...





...the places where it is finally just you and your imagination.













2 comments:

  1. Becca, I absolutely LOVED reading this post! Norway sounds like such an experience so far. New things to learn, see, taste, experience...I loved your description of the rain. Your pictures are beautiful, too -- it really helps me to picture what it must be like for you there. I bet there's still a lot to learn and get used to, but I can really see you getting SO much out of it, and loving it. May God continue to bless you!!!

    ReplyDelete